ESPOO, Jun 23rd 2005 – The first Preview release of the OpenPSA management suite is now available. This release showcases the new user interface concept and completely rewritten technology architecture.
This release depends on bleeding-edge tools, and so there is still some way to go before it will be Perfect Software. Breakage and misfeatures can occur on all levels of the stack: Midgard Core, MidCOM, OpenPSA components and the AJAX-powered user interfaces. Once you encounter them, please use the issue tracker.
The main things to try out in this release are:
- Access Control Lists
- Document searching
- AJAX-based hour reporting (note problem with bug #246)
- Calendar user interface
- The person-organization-suborganization connection
- Workgroup filtering
As a complete rewrite the OpenPSA 2 preview does not yet provide all the features that were available in the OpenPSA 1.x series. Some major features missing are:
- OpenPSA Projects reporting engine
- Sales project handling
- Sales campaign handling (mass mailing)
- Support and help desk ticket management
- Expense and mileage reporting
- Calendar WebCAL support
- Documents WebDAV repository
There also isn’t yet a tool for migrating data between OpenPSA 1.x and OpenPSA 2 installations. This will be provided later based on the Exorcist data migration tool.
The default OpenPSA 2 layout has not yet been tested on other browsers than Mozilla Firefox. It will be tuned to support MS Internet Explorer and Safari later in July.
Database and Core setup
- Install latest CVS version of Midgard and set up a fresh database with datagard
- Import the SQL files (though not the _delete ones, they’re for backtracking) from org.openpsa.core to your Midgard database
- Configure your midgard-apache to use the MgdSchema from org.openpsa.core
- Note: the schema file must be copied to MIDGARD_PREFIX/share/midgard/schema and must be referred via full path.
- Install the layout-openpsa.xml style file using datagard
- Install the OpenPSA components, best way to keep up to date is to make a CVS export of the OpenPSA source tree and symlink MIDCOM_ROOT/lib/org/openpsa to src/fs-midcom/openpsa directory of OpenPSA.
- Using Spider Admin or similar create root level group ‘__org_openpsa’
- Again in Spider create under group ‘__org_openpsa’ group ‘__contacts’
- Still in Spider create root level event ‘__org_openpsa_calendar’ set owner as ‘__org_openpsa’
- Create a new MidCOM site with the Midgard Site Wizard
- Select the OpenPSA v2 layout from the list (or set manually later if it doesn’t appear)
- Set parameter
1to the root topic of the site
- Set up subtopics for the OpenPSA components you’re going to use
- You can also use regular MidCOM components side-by-side with OpenPSA
- The root topic should run the org.openpsa.mypage component
OpenPSA 2 preview releases are available in:
If you want to use the stable OpenPSA 1.x release instead, it is available in:
To keep up with the development, subscribe to the OpenPSA news feed at http://www.openpsa.org/news/
The project has been kindly sponsored by Ware.it.
We would like to thank Torben Nehmer, Piotr Pokora and Jukka Zitting for their efforts on Midgard 2 that have made this project possible. We are also grateful to Arttu Manninen his work on user interface design.