We held the Feeds, Synchronization and the Free Software Desktop talk with Tigert today. Despite the Fluendo party the night before, there was a quite good crowd in the old Museu Balaguer library.
The key ideas from the talk were:
- Applications should synchronize with their corresponding social web services
- Synchronization with Web 2.0 would solve both easy information sharing and backups
- Native apps are still more usable than web sites and provide off-line support
As a tangent we discussed also integrating “where” into the desktop:
- Adding location information into the desktop would enable lots of new services
- Location should be a centralized service in the desktop
- There should be multiple sources of position: GPS, Plazes, manually entered, …
Same ideas would also work on 770.
You can download the slides here: guadec-feeds-2006-06-27.pdf (776KB PDF)