Today I finally had the chance to take the first step at this direction by adding web site probing support into the OpenPsa Contacts CRM component. Now when you enter a new person or company it does:
- Check if the contact has a homepage set
- Register an “at” entry for Midgard
- Next minute the homepage will be fetched
- If there is a
<link />to RSS feed that feed will be fetched
- If the feed includes ICBM metadata the position will be stored accordingly
- If the feed includes GeoRSS info then the a subscription will be registered
- …and at every subscription run the person’s position will be updated according to the time of latest RSS entry
End result is that if the contact has a geocoded website (like many do nowadays), the position will be available for the CRM system.
It is of course only the first step. When finally I upgrade my local development box to run PHP5 I can start reading Microformats in via hKit and do cool things like automatically populating employees and contact information.